Saturday, November 8, 2008

Tip #9: Girls: How to Reject a Date

I'm always kind of a hater with guys because most of them don't know how to ask a girl out. But guys, fear not: I'm also a hater with girls, because many of them don't know how to reject an unwanted date.

Ladies: accepting a date is pretty simple. A guy asks you out, and you say yes. Cool.

Obviously, rejecting a date is much more difficult. You have this sweet guy who's just put himself on the line by asking you out, and you're busy--or just plain not interested. Now what?

My personal rule is, in casual dating, if you can't go or don't want to go, you give the same answer: a simple "no." None of this suggesting another time business. You want a guy who'll work to get you, right?

Still, many girls can't wrap their minds around this, and boys often are just too lame to try again, so girls, if you like this guy, just suggest another time when you're not busy. I guess.

But that's not the messy bit. The messy bit is ending the weird non-relationship you have going on with the guy who wants to take you out, but you don't want to go with. This is the hard part.

My rules here allow for two options:

1. Just say no thanks. If he presses you on it, just tell him it is "simply impossible." It looks a little archaic here on this blog, but trust me: it works like magic. Just adamantly protest that going out with him is simply impossible, and let the chips fall where they may.

2. Say no and leave it at that. And if he asks you out again later, just flat-out tell him that you're not interested.

Many girls have a One Date Rule. That's to say, they won't reject a guy without going on at least one date with him first.

I think that's a nice rule, but it's not for everyone. Certainly not for me. So don't feel too bad if you decide to reject someone flat out--but remember that you just might be missing out on someone fantastic. Most people deserve a chance.

1 comment:

Chillygator said...

This blog post is somewhat funny to me based on us talking about the guy you kept trying to set me up with and I Would Not Go Out With...but then we started dating.

One date rule, that's all I'm saying (o:

Then again, my LAST one date rule...that may be an entry for e-hell.