Saturday, July 5, 2008

Tip #4: Confidence!

So far a few of these entries here have been about the idea of coming to the conclusion that you are good enough. What this all is eventually supposed to add up to is... bazam bazam, CONFIDENCE!

Confidence and pride are not the same thing. This is my pet peeve. So many people put themselves down for the sake of alleged humility, and it's really not good for anyone.

Pride is when you build yourself up at the expense of others. Confidence is merely understanding your own self-worth. You can be humble and still recognize that you are a talented artist, or a great writer, or a good athlete. Being modest does not mean putting yourself down so others can feel better about themselves. Being modest means abstaining from pride.

I know we've all heard or seen this quotation before, but I'm going to bring it up again:


Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. -Marianne Williamson



We are all meant to shine. That is the essence of confidence, but also of humility. We have been created to lift each other up, to help each other with our talents and our light. Are you cultivating that inner light? Are you letting it shine through?

Confidence is important because in a very real way it makes everything else possible. Don't be afraid to let yourself shine. Find out what you're good at and cultivate it, let it out.

STORYTIME WITH ALLIE


This is such an important idea. The other night I was talking to my favorite person ever about this topic. I think it's one that's often misrepresented. Confidence, and true understanding of self-worth, is deemed less important than so-called "modesty," putting yourself down. That's not what life is about.

I don't remember the first time I finally figured that out. I think it was a process more than anything. It's something you have to think about and ponder, and one day just decide to let yourself be seen for what you are.

1 comment:

Chillygator said...

Yay for story time!

Lately I realized I deflect compliments because it's the modest, appropriate thing to do, but also I felt like I didn't deserve them.

It's been REALLY hard having to just say "thank you" when someone compliments me. Maybe I'm the only one who sort of grew up trained to deflect praise? Who knows. It's a start, at least (o: